Reading has significant number of benefits. Here are some which I thought will inspire you to place “reading” in your daily routine.
- Mental Stimulation: The phrase “use it or lose it” is particularly applicable when it comes to your mind. Reading keeps your brain active and engaged which prevents it from losing power.
- Stress Reduction: No matter how much stress you have at work, in your personal relationship or countless other issues faced in daily life, it all just slips away when you are lost in a great story. This distracts you from the current world letting tension drain away and allow you to relax.
- Knowledge: Everything you read fills your mind with new bit of information and you never know when it might come in handy. It’s the food for your head. The more knowledge you have the better equipped you are to tackle any challenges you will ever face.
- Vocabulary Expansion: The more you read, the more words you gain exposure to. Being articulate and well spoken will definitely help you in your professional life. It helps you to learn new language and improve your speaking and writing fluency.
- Memory Improvement: When you read you have to remember certain action, things, situation or character to relate between sub plots, and that keeps your interest high. Subconsciously it strengthens your short term memory recall and stabilize your mood. Isn’t it really cool?
- Stronger Analytical Skill: Whenever you read a Mystery Novel, to determine ‘who did it’ you start analysing critically. If you get any opportunity to discuss this genre novel with your friends with equal interest, you will be able to realise how it has improved your analytical thinking because you are now able to put your ideas clearly and smoothly in front of everyone.
- Improve Focus and Concentration: In our internet crazed world, attention is drawn in a million different directions at once, as we multi task everyday. But when you read a book you can immerse yourself in every fine details, you are observing.
- Inner Peace: Reading Spiritual Books can lower blood pressure, mood disorders, and bring about immense sense of calm.
- Free Entertainment: Libraries have books on every subject imaginable. There are also many sources online where you can download free e-book. There is a reading genre for every literate person on the planet, whether it be literature, poetry, magazine, biographies, religious books, romantic novel, there is something out there to capture your curiosity and imagination.
So go hunt for something new to read. Stay away from your PC, laptop, mobile, crack upon a book and sooth your soul for a little while.